Student Housing

Housing FAQ

It’s normal to have lots of questions about where you will be living on campus! Here are some questions we get a lot. If you don’t find the answers you need below, please don’t hesitate to call us at 870-230-5083 or email us at

Q: Am I required to live on campus?

A: Maybe! Henderson State University has a Mandatory on campus residency requirement. Click here to see if it applies to you.

Where can I park on move-in day?

A: Click HERE to view our map for the best parking option for your building. Zones marked in red are for loading and unloading only. Please move your vehicle to one of the areas marked in green once you have unloaded your belongings. Do not leave vehicles unattended on streets and sidewalks.

Q: What am I allowed to bring from home?

A: We encourage you to make your residence hall room as cozy and comfortable as possible while making sure you leave space for your roommate! This can be done by bringing curtains, area rugs, pictures, posters, TV stands, small couches or chairs, bookshelves, beanbags, lamps, wax warmers, or refrigerators (6 cubic feet per room maximum). You may also bring your TV, stereo, DVD player, gaming system, alarm clock or personal computer (desktop or laptop) to help spruce up your room. If you like to cook, don’t forget your air popcorn popper, rice cooker or coffee pot. Please note that microwaves are allowed in most buildings, though not in Smith or Newberry.

Q; What should I leave at home?

A: The following items are not allowed in the residence halls: halogen lamps, lava lamps, George Foreman grills, toasters, candles or incense, decorative alcohol bottles, hot plates, toaster ovens, sandwich makers, or any cooking appliance with an open heating element, and extension cords or multiplugs that do not have a built in surge protector. Microwaves are not allowed in Smith or Newberry Halls, though we do provide a hall microwave on each floor in those buildings.

Q: Why are microwaves not allowed in Smith Hall?

A: If you have been assigned to live in either Smith or Newberry Halls, you are not allowed to have a microwave in your room. The electrical systems in these buildings are not capable of supporting a microwave in every room. To assist our students, microwaves are provided for you to use on each floor in both Smith and Newberry Halls.

Q: Why are toasters, George Foreman grills, candles or toaster ovens not allowed in the residence halls?

A: You are not allowed to have cooking items in any of the residence halls due to fire safety. Kitchens and microwave rooms are provided for you to use in Smith and Newberry Halls and BBQ grills can be found around campus to assist with any cooking needs.

Q: Are pets allowed in the residence halls or apartment complexes?

A: Fish are allowed, though the maximum size for fish tanks is 10 gallons. If you need a service or emotional support animal, please contact the Disability Resource Center to begin the accommodations process.

Q: Will I have a curfew?

A: There is no curfew in the residence halls. When you arrive to campus you are given a student ID card. This card will act as your key to your residence hall, allowing you to come and go as you please. There is, however, a visitation policy for the residence halls and apartment complexes. Students and guests must follow the visitation policy which can be found in the Student Housing Handbook.

Q: Am I required to have a meal plan if I live on campus?

A: Yes, you are required to purchase a meal plan if you live on campus. At any time during the semester you are able to increase your meal plan if you find that you are running short on meals. If you want to decrease your meal plan, you can only do so during the first week of the semester or between the fall and spring semesters. It is also important to remember that Declining Cash Balance (DCB) dollars are non-refundable.

Q: When will I know where I have been assigned to live for the upcoming year?

A: You will have the opportunity to select your own room and will be able to look up your assignment at any time after you have selected a space. This typically happens during the first week of June. Make sure you are checking your Henderson State University email account to know when it is your turn to pick your room!

Q: Do I have to pay for Internet, laundry or electricity?

A: No, there are many free amenities for you to enjoy while living on campus. Some of these include Internet, laundry, electricity, water, free movies, and programs provided by the housing staff.

Q: What if I don’t get along with my roommate?

A: Your first step is to talk to your roommate; chances are your problems may stem from a lack of communication. If that does not work, you are encouraged to visit with your RA about the problem. Your RA can be a tremendous help by helping you and your roommate develop a guideline for living together. If you are still unable to get along with your roommate, you may visit the Housing office for a possible room change.

Q: When can I switch rooms?

A: Room changes are available beginning on the 12th day of class. For a room change you will need to contact the Housing office and complete all required paperwork before the move takes place.

Q: What happens if I drop below the 12-hour requirement to live in the residence hall?

A: If there ever comes a time in the semester when you need to drop below the full-time student (12 hours) requirement, you will be required to move out of the residence halls. In certain circumstances you may gain special permission to remain on campus from the Assistant Vice President for Henderson Housing, Community Standards, and Division Strategy. Dropping below 12 hours per semester has severe consequences. You may also want to check with the Office of Financial Aid to see how it will affect your student account.

Q: Where do I go if I lose my student ID card?

A: If you lose your student ID card, you can get a replacement at the Garrison Information Desk. The first ID card is free; each additional card will cost you $10.

Q: If I have an emergency in the residence halls or on campus, who do I call?

A: If you ever find yourself in a situation where help is needed, you may contact your RA, hall director or area coordinator. Henderson Housing has staff on call 24 hours a day, and you will be provided with contact numbers upon moving in to the residence halls. You may also contact the Henderson Police Department or call 911 in case of an emergency.

Q: What do I do if something breaks or stops working in my room?

A: If you have a problem in your room you can submit a maintenance request online. Once received, your request will be reported by Housing staff to maintenance to be addressed.

Q: What happens if my roommate moves out or does not show up at the beginning of the semester?

A: If your roommate moves out or doesn't show up, don’t worry. We will consolidate you with another person who needs a roommate or you may request someone you know to move in with you.

Q: What happens if I lose the key to my room?

A: It is not uncommon for students to lose the key to their room. If this happens to you, immediately contact your hall director so that they may have the lock changed to your room. A charge of $65 per key will be issued to you for every lock change that must occur.

Q: What is a resident assistant (RA)?

A: An RA is a student leader that lives on your floor or in your building. They are the first person you should talk to if you have a problem. The RA can help you with a number of things like meeting new people on your floor or in your building and reporting any maintenance issues that may arise. The RA is also there if you have questions about campus resources, you need someone to talk to, or if you are having problems with your roommate. It is very important for you to get to know your RA, as they are your closest link to the university. After all, they've been in your shoes as a student at Henderson and know the ropes.

Q: What is a hall director (HD)?

A: A hall director is a specially trained graduate student that is responsible for the management and daily operation of the residence hall or apartment complex. Your hall director lives in the building with the student and is there to help when needed. The hall director is also the direct supervisor for the resident assistants and desk workers of the building.

Q: What is an area coordinator (AC)?

A: Area coordinators are full-time housing professionals who live in the residence hall or apartment complex. They are responsible for creating an environment to support the academic success of the residential students. The area coordinator is the direct supervisor of the hall director and responsible for the day-to-day management of the residence halls or apartment complexes.

Q: Am I required to have a roommate?

A: We have a very small number of private rooms available on campus. First priority for these rooms goes to students who need them as a part of an ADA accommodation. Once these rooms are gone, students will be assigned to double rooms and will have a roommate.

Q: As a freshman, what residence hall will I be assigned to live in?

A: Students that complete the online housing application will have the option to self-select their rooms in any of our available residence halls during the self-selection time period. Once the self-selection time period has ended, all first time students may be assigned to Smith or Newberry Halls.

Q: Can I live in Sturgis as a freshman?

A: Freshmen are allowed to live in Sturgis Hall provided they have been admitted to the Honors College.

Q: What is there to do in the residence halls?

A: There are plenty of things to do in the residence halls, and you are encouraged to get involved. The RA staff of your building will provide activities throughout the semester for you to attend. If there is something that you like to do or would like to learn more about, talk to your RA. They have the resources to plan an activity around your idea. Some of the activities include: attending sporting events as a group, Halloween door decoration contests, Battle of the Ravine contests, holiday parties, canned food drives, potlucks, crafting, karaoke, and movie nights.

Q: How much will it cost me to do my laundry?

A: Laundry is included in your housing fees. Each hall and complex are equipped with high-efficiency washers and dryers, set up on a laundry alert system that will text or email you when your laundry is finished. This means you won't miss that favorite TV show while standing in the laundry room waiting on the machine to finish.

Q: How can I access the free movie channel?

A: Students in the residence halls have access to hit movies on demand. Students can start, stop, pause, rewind, and fast-forward our selected titles 24/7 when accessing from the residence hall WiFi network. You can also access movies on your residence hall or apartment TV through channel 21.