Campus Safety

Gas Or Chemical Leaks


Notify authorities:

  • Emergency 911
  • University Police 870-230-5098
  • Arkadelphia Police 870-246-4545
  • Fire Department 870-246-2424

Evacuate building. Assist handicapped to evacuate.

Gas Leaks or Chemical Spills

Report suspected gas leaks or suspicious odors immediately to:

  • University Police 870-230-5098 or 870-230-5098
  • Arkadelphia Police 870-246-4545
  • HSU Maintenance 870-230-5179

Include: Building location, room number, type of chemical, and type of incident.

If you have bodily contact with the spilled material, remove any contaminated clothing immediately and flush all areas of bodily contact with large amounts of water.

Maintenance workers or university officials may determine that the building should be evacuated and will sound the fire alarm.

Close all doors and windows, if possible. Do not use elevators.

Proceed outside and away from the building to at least 300 feet, leaving clear access for arriving emergency personnel. Move to the building's designated evacuation assembly area. Assist the handicapped. Do not return to building until instructed to do so by officials on site.

Campus - The University Police Department, working with the Clark County Office of Emergency

Evacuation services will direct the evacuation of buildings and/or the campus itself when conditions warrant such action.