Guide to Human Resources Transitions

Transitioning 9-Month Faculty FAQ

Updated May 17, 2022 

The following Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) have been prepared to provide additional information for 9-month faculty members whose positions may be impacted by financial exigency or who have resigned. 

Q: How long will my Henderson email account be active?

A: You will have access to your Henderson email account through July 31, 2022.

Q: When is my last day of insurance coverage? 

A: Your last day of insurance coverage is May 31, 2022. An exception to this is if you are teaching summer school—in which case your insurance would end either June 30 or July 31, 2022, depending on the session(s) that you are teaching.  

Once your insurance is terminated, you will receive information in the mail from Optum Health regarding COBRA health insurance options.  This letter can also serve as proof of insurance that you may need for enrollment in alternative plans. 

Q: I have a flexible spending account. How will that work? 

A: Your last day to incur expenses for flexible spending accounts is your last day of employment. You have 60 days to submit receipts for reimbursement. 

Q: I have a health savings account. How will that work? 

A: You may keep your health savings account intact and continue to use the available funds until they are exhausted. 

Q: What happens with my retirement funds? 

A: Your retirement funds can stay intact as they are. 

Q: I have a summer savings account. How will I be paid? 

A: If you have contributed to summer savings, your account will be disbursed in full on June 15, 2022. 

Q: I have paid in advance for my summer benefits. Will I be reimbursed? 

A: Yes, you will be reimbursed for any overpayment on your last paycheck. 

Q: When can I retrieve my personal items from my office? 

A: Please work directly with your supervisor to arrange a time to retrieve your personal items. You also will need to turn in any university property such as laptops, iPad, etc., to the IT Help Desk on the second floor in Foster Hall.

Q: I am moving to another in-state institution of higher education, public school, or state agency. Will my sick leave transfer? 

A: Yes, you can transfer your sick leave. Your new employer will need to request proof of prior service from Arkansas State University Payroll. Please have your new employer contact Teddi Russell at

Contact Information  

Janet Brewer, HSU Human Resources Manager
(870) 230-5642   

Bobbie Lee, HSU Director of Compliance
(870) 230-5145   

Stephanie Loy, HSU Human Resources Assistant
(870) 230-5450  

Dianna Long, ASU Payroll
(870) 680-8086 

LeAnn Perkins, ASU System Benefits
(501) 660-1003  

Eric Britt, TIAA
(501) 235-4906  

Angela Cutler TIAA
(501) 235-4904  

Arkansas Teacher Retirement
(501) 682-1517 (website)  

Arkansas Public Employee Retirement
(501) 682-7800 (website)