An imminent threat of violence may be cause for a lockdown of all or part of campus.
The goal of a lockdown is to limit exposure of students, employees and visitors to danger by preventing dangerous persons from entering campus buildings, offices, classrooms or facilities.
If a lockdown is ordered:
- Stay inside! Do not leave the building unless an imminently dangerous situation arises inside. If outside, seek shelter in the nearest building.
- Take shelter in a lockable room, if possible. Lock the door.
- Take shelter in a room with thicker walls and fewer windows, if possible.
- Close windows, shades and blinds, and avoid being seen from outside the room if possible.
- Turn off lights.
- Silence phones and turn off other electronics.
- Monitor alerts, alarm boxes and email for updates and further instructions. A situation description or location may be disseminated as soon as possible using these methods.
- Be very cautious of admitting anyone into a locked building. Require that all backpacks and other bags be left outside at least 30 feet from the building.
- Require that the person seeking shelter open all outer garments for visual inspection and display open hands before allowing entry.
- Remain in place until you receive an “all clear” signal.