The generosity of the Simonson family to Henderson State University allowed for the creation of the Simonson Biological Field Station, which opened in 2011. The mission of the field station is to support the HSU Biology Department in pursuit of scientific education and research that advances understanding of the natural world and promotes informed stewardship of the Earth.
- Undergraduate student research
- Offer field-based university courses
- Educational outreach (field trips for local public schools, Educational Renewal Zone (ERZ) Program)
- Provide facilities and field sites for visiting researchers
- Biology club and biology department retreats and events
- Support outside use of the station consistent with its mission
When available, the station can be rented for events such as family reunions, corporate retreats, weddings, etc. Please contact us for details.