Division of Student Affairs and Student Success / Henderson Housing
The selected candidate will supervise a residential area consisting of multiple residence halls and/or apartment properties ranging from 350-750 residents. They will directly and/or indirectly supervise 6 to 22 Resident Assistants and other student staff as well as 1 to 3 Graduate Assistant Hall Directors. The selected candidate will be able to perform all related duties to provide coverage within the Department of Residence Life. This is a live-in position with a 12-month appointment. This positions reports to the Assistant Vice President for Henderson Housing, Community Standards, and Division Strategy.
Residence Life Duties and Responsibilities (70%)
- Manage daily operations to ensure a positive, healthy and safe living learning environment which supports the campus educational environment.
- Provide crisis management and facilities operations to the designated area and campus.
- Enhance the campus environment and support campus retention efforts by providing leadership and supervision for educational programming in the residence halls.
- Lead the initiative to create and implement a residential curriculum model on campus.
- Build academic partnerships and develop academic discipline-based theme housing and living learning communities.
- Advise the Residence Hall Association (RHA) Executive Board and Council of Presidents for the Residence Hall Councils.
- Provide leadership and support for the development of Hall Councils in each residence hall on campus.
- Create and oversee the development of all-hall programming efforts and special events in collaboration with RHA and Residence Life staff.
- Address student conduct issues within the designated area and collaborate with the Senior Coordinator for Community Standards on education and prevention efforts.
- Contribute to a campus climate that fosters student learning and development as well as a vibrant sense of community.
- Counsel, advise, and serve as an advocate for residents through development of responsive relationships with residents.
- Participate in University activities, projects, and committees that will foster personal and professional development and promote the institution’s strategic priorities.
- Participate in an on call duty rotation for campus.
- Provide customer service to residents and support departmental operations by working assigned hours in the central Residence Life office.
- Other duties as assigned.
Student Affairs Duties and Responsibilities (30%)
- Serve as the primary liaison between the Division of Student Affairs and Student Success and the institution’s Marketing and Communications department.
- Provide marketing and graphic design support to all units within the Division.
- Design and produce a variety of documents for use by the Division, including marketing and recruitment materials, handbooks, flyers, and annual reports.
- Manage the Division’s digital presence on the HSU website and social media.
- Other communication duties as assigned.
Qualifications / Experience
A Master’s degree with prior experience in Residence Life. A successful candidate will possess the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; maintain accurate records and prepare necessary reports; cultivate and maintain effective working relationships with other staff, the campus community, and special interest groups; and operate a variety of office equipment, including personal computers and graphic design software. Henderson State University is particularly interested in candidates who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and have demonstrated a commitment to outstanding customer service.
Henderson State University is located in Arkadelphia, Arkansas, a charming, family-centered community of 11,000 residents situated one hour south of Little Rock, Arkansas on Interstate 30. Nestled in the foothills of the Ouachita Mountains, the community is home to two universities, a strong public school system, a thriving medical community, tow recreational rivers, the iconic Lake DeGray, and is approximately 30 miles from historic Hot Springs National Park, one of the great American treasures. Please visit www.hsu.edu, www.arkadelphiaalliance.com, or www.arkadelphiaschools.org for more information about Henderson State University and our community.
Please email a cover letter, resume, and contact information for 3 references to Stacey Howard at email@example.com.
Review of applications will begin on March 25, 2019, and continue until the position is filled. The final applicant for this position will be required to submit to a background screening including a criminal background check pursuant to university policy. The applicant will also be required to provide official transcripts to Human Resources. Under the provisions of the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act, applications are subject to public inspection upon written request.