Recreation – Natural Resource Management
Do you enjoy the outdoors? A degree in Recreation-Natural Resources Management allows graduates to find rewarding jobs with various federal and state land management agencies, municipal parks and adventure programming companies. Graduates become stewards of the natural environment while educating the public on the importance of recreation in the natural environment.
The Natural Resources Management Program at Henderson State University provides practical and applicable learning opportunities for students with a passion for the outdoors. Located near the foothills of the Ouachita Mountains, Arkadelphia has many opportunities for outdoor recreation and the various natural resources management agencies provide hands-on learning experiences. A degree earned at HSU will provide the distinction of a diverse learning opportunity as HSU is the only Public Liberal Arts University for the State of Arkansas.
What does the degree prepare me to do?
Recreation-Natural Resources Management graduates work in a variety of outdoor recreation, experiential education and adventure programming settings. Student employment opportunities connected to Recreation-Natural Resources Management are numerous. They include:
- Arkansas State Parks
- National Park Service
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- U.S. Forest Service
- Arkansas Game and Fish Commission
- Arkansas Forest Commission
- Municipal Recreation
- National Outdoor Leadership School
- Non-Profit Agencies
- Adventure Camps/Camp Administration
- Commercial Recreation Businesses
- University Recreation
- Golf Courses
Recreation – Sport Management
The program emphasis combines foundational and theoretical models in sport and recreation management with real-world application. The Sport Management curriculum explores the historical and societal impacts of sport and focuses on industry fundamentals such as: leadership, sports law, facility management, finance, organization and administration, marketing, promotion, and commercial and entrepreneurial aspects.
Recreation – Leisure Services Management
You’re probably thinking a Recreation and Leisure Services Management degree is all fun and games, and our majors would certainly agree that it’s a fun degree. Graduates of this program find rewarding jobs at resorts, sports facilities, theme parks, community centers, municipal parks, recreation departments and other recreational venues where they have fun on a daily basis. They work outdoors, indoors and even in clinical settings, but they're rarely tied to a desk from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Leisure Services Management degree holders work in a variety of leisure, recreational and sport settings for all age groups, populations and diverse geographical locations that include but are not limited to:
- State and municipal park settings
- Sports teams
- Community recreation centers
- Fitness centers
- Military recreation program
- Commercial recreation
- Non-profit organizations
- Campus recreation
Recreation – Hospitality Tourism and Event Planning
The Hospitality Tourism and Event Planning program concentration prepares students for entry-level positions in hotels, resorts, convention and visitor centers, corporate centers, private clubs, and meeting and event operations. This degree program contains one or more embedded certificates which will be automatically awarded when the certificate requirements are completed.
- Demonstrate ability to practice concepts of customer service in meeting and events operations.
- Use technology to achieve operational efficiency and productivity in meeting and event operations.
- Demonstrate appropriate professional written and oral communication skills along with professional dress and grooming standards.
- Demonstrate an ability to work effectively as a member of a team, and perform meeting and event responsibilities in an ethical manner.
- Make decisions based on integrating knowledge of functional areas for managing meetings and events.