SGA welcomes new senators
Henderson State University’s Student Government Association (SGA) recently swore in 16 new senators to serve as the voice of the student body.
Additional Senate seats were added after the SGA was restructured this past summer, said Dr. Veronikha Salazar, associate dean of students and SGA advisor.
“We wanted to improve the functionality of the SGA,” Salazar said. “We updated the constitution. From there, more seats were added.”
Several groups, including nontraditional students, student athletes, international students, and Honors College scholars, previously had minimal representation in the SGA Senate, Salazar said. The restructuring also added more seats to the growing areas on campus, including the School of Business and Teachers College, Henderson.
The Senate now includes a diverse group of students who represent all demographics and areas of study.
SGA meetings are open to all students. SGA President Reynolds Beckham meets with Henderson President Glen Jones each month to relay all concerns and proposals raised by students.
The newly elected senators and their seats are:
• Freshman Class -- Suzanne Sorrells and Cynthia Perez
• Ellis College -- Kyle Buttram and Hunter Collins
• Greek (NPC) -- Mercedes Thompson
• Greek (IFC) -- Michael Williams
• Greek (NPHC) -- Brandi Hughes
• Non-Traditional Student -- James Garcia
• Residence Life -- Jarvis Warren
• School of Business -- Carrie Herron
• Teachers College -- Malisa Kennedy and Anna Duggan
• Honors College -- Emily Whitley
• Graduate School -- Ashley Childs
• International Student -- Christine Mbarga• Athletics -- Hayden Lessenberry.