Disability Resource Center
The Disability Resource Center (DRC), located on the first floor of Foster Hall, provides a variety of resources to help students achieve their academic and career goals. At the DRC, we pride ourselves on providing a variety of services that help to promote academic access for students with disabilities. From individual sessions or academic workshops to student-supported groups, along with participation in cultural events, DRC participants will be encouraged and challenged to meet their full potential.
To request DRC services, contact assistant director Beverly Quillin or education specialists Erin Poe and Kimberly Stecker. A professor, the Office of Admissions or previous high school instructors can refer a student to the DRC.
The documentation needed to start the application process includes a recent evaluation completed by a professional that describes the current impact of the disability. Additional information should include:
- A clear statement identifying the disability, date of the current diagnostic evaluation, and the date of original diagnosis.
- A description of the diagnostic criteria and test(s) used.
- A description of current functional impact of the disability.
- Any treatments, medications, assistive devices/services currently prescribed or in use.
- A description of the expected progression (if any) or stability of the impact of the disability over time.
- The diagnosing professional’s credentials.
- Henderson State University reserves the right to request any additional documentation if necessary.
Some of the DRC services offered are:
- Adapted testing to extend time and reduce distractions from the classroom
- Alternative print format ranging from audio to Braille
- Success strategies
- Guidance and academic advisement
- Assistive Technology Computer Lab
Printers, scanners, a copier, relaxation zones, Standardized Exam Study Guides (Praxis, GRE, GMAT, MAT) and laptop computers are available for DRC students during regular hours – from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
We look forward to assisting you in a successful academic career.