Courses in the music program include:
- Concert Band
- Chamber Chorale
- String Orchestra
- Opera Workshop
- Jazz Improvisation
- Public School Music
- Vocal Pedagogy
Music majors have the opportunity to pursue careers in areas like:
- Musical theater
- Musical performance
- Music therapy
- Nonprofit direction
- Fine arts promotion
- Live stream performances
- Degree plans
- Event calendar
- Music news
- Friends of Music
Department of Music
Russell Fine Arts Center
1100 Henderson Street, HSU Box 7733
Arkadelphia, AR 71999-0001
If you are looking for a college education in music, you will find great musical opportunities and wonderful scholarship offerings for both music and non-music majors to help you realize your dreams.
The Department of Music offers an outstanding education with Bachelor of Music degrees in music education, composition, and performance; the Bachelor of Arts degree; and a Music minor. Henderson State University's Department of Music has been a fully accredited member of the National Association of Schools of Music for over 50 years and provides a variety of performance opportunities.
Our Department of Music pledges that students will find:
- Strong commitment to nurturing student excellence
- Generous scholarships available for majors and non-majors
- Strong sense of spirit, tradition, and, distinction
- Opportunities to perform in a wide variety of ensembles
- Dedicated faculty of active professional musicians and pedagogues
- High placement rate for graduates in performance and education
At Henderson State University, music students can be majors or non-majors. Students can earn scholarships whether they will pursue a career in music or simply enjoy contributing to the rich musical culture on campus. Three options are available for music majors on campus:
- Bachelor of Arts in Music - This degree is for students who want to major in music as part of a liberal arts program whatever they choose as a career. It is a program designed for maximum flexibility, allowing for elective coursework and study in a minor field. Students graduating with our Bachelor of Arts degree possess a thorough knowledge of the fundamentals of music scholarship, and are prepared to further their studies in a broad range of specialties.
- Bachelor of Music in Composition or Performance - This degree is for students who want to become composers or professional performers of instrumental, vocal or keyboard music. Our program offers a challenging, comprehensive instruction designed to cultivate a thorough knowledge of music scholarship, technical facility and artistry. Academic music study, private instruction and active performance are essential elements of this degree. Students in our Bachelor of Music degree in Composition or Performance (Instrumental, Vocal, or Keyboard) will graduate with a competitive set of musical skills and a thorough understanding of musical style and practice.
- Bachelor of Music Education - This degree is for students who want to become instrumental or choral music educators. Our program offers a challenging, comprehensive instruction designed to cultivate a thorough knowledge of music scholarship and pedagogy, as well as technique and methodology for the proper instruction of instrumental and choral music. Students choosing this degree will study an added professional education component that is designed for K-12 teacher certification. Students in our Bachelor of Music degree in Instrumental, Choral, or Keyboard/Choral Education will graduate with a competitive set of musical skills and a thorough understanding of the principles that constitute effective music education.
Students are also able to pursue a minor in music to complement their major degree programs in departments throughout Henderson State University.