Phi Lambda Chi

The members of Phi Lambda Chi believe that all men are social beings and friendships of college men are designed to last for life. The goal of this fraternity is to facilitate the forging of these bonds and to promote a faithful association of men with ethics. Phi Lambda Chi creates leaders to further develop the missions of the institutions and communities where they are. 

The Lamb Society was organized in 1920 as an organization for high school boys. Each year this society was composed of boys who were interested in conditions which would help to keep up the standard of morals on the campus and the high ideals for which the school stands. The majority of the boys having graduated training school and continued to college, and decided on March 15, 1925 to discontinue their organization as a training school society and unite in forming a new secret society to be known as the Aztecs. Twelve members made up the charter roll of this new fraternity. They were: Robert L. Taylor, Robert Clark, Wendell Collums, Grant Collar, William Huddleston, Howard Perrin, Louis Moles, Marvin Crittenden, Jeff Shemwell, Doyle Patton, Lester Adair and Evan Douglas.

In 1927, the college allowed fraternities to assume Greek letter names. The name Aztec was dropped for the name Phi Lambda Chi, in 1930. The college faculty in 1934 voted to allow the fraternities on campus to nationalize. However, it was five years later that Phi Lambda Chi would nationalize. The group preferred to continue under its own name and with its old organization, which had over 300 alumni.

On Jan. 19, 1939, Phi Lambda Chi voted to nationalize and elected a provisional Grand Council with Troy Jones, Faculty Advisor, as provisional National President. This provisional National Council authorized to grant charters to new chapters and to set up a provisional constitution. It was authorized to govern the national fraternity until such time as there might be three chapters in existence when it was to call a national convention.

The provisional National Council was instructed to develop the fraternity as a national fraternity along lines that would qualify it for admission into the Association of Teachers College Fraternities. This council voted to charter to the local Phi Lambda Chi to become the Alpha Chapter of the national fraternity and at once began to make contacts with groups at other colleges. The fraternity established a national magazine and named it "The Aztec" in honor of the local organization from which it was derived. 

Contact

Email

National website