You know that Teachers College, Henderson is an excellent place to prepare for teaching and school leadership. But did you know that you can earn bachelors’ degrees preparing you for these careers? Career opportunities in the following areas are promising:
- Dietetics and nutrition
- Athletic training
- Fashion merchandising
- Recreation- Leisure Service Management
- Recreation- Natural Resources Management
- Recreation- Sport Management
- Physical education and coaching
- Special education
- Early childhood development
Do you currently have a degree in a non-teaching profession, but you want to teach? Teachers College, Henderson offers a Master of Arts in Teaching Program (MAT), designed for graduates like you.
When you choose Teachers College for your education, you are choosing one of the best. In 2014, the National Council for Teacher Quality ranked Teachers College as fifth best in the nation for preparing secondary-school social science teachers to enter the classroom. Henderson’s secondary educator preparation program was ranked third best in the southern region among all education programs – both elementary and secondary. Our elementary educator preparation was ranked 40th in the nation, and HSU’s K-12 educator preparation program was ranked first in Arkansas.
Whether you choose to earn a degree in education or other profession, you will get the same personal attention, project-based learning experiences, and excellent education. Working with the HSU Graduate School, Teachers College also offers masters’ and education specialists’ degrees. You can earn advanced degrees and/or preparation leading to a license in the following areas:
- Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- School Counseling
- Sport Management
- Advanced Instructional Studies, including options in
- English as a Second Language, Instructional specialist, Interdisciplinary, Content areas
- Developmental therapy
- Special education
- Building level leadership (principal)
- Technology leadership
- Education Specialist degree in curriculum leadership*
- Education Specialist degree in district-level leadership (superintendent)*
An Education Specialist (Ed.S.) is a step toward earning a doctorate in education. The Educational Leadership Program has an articulation agreement with the University of Arkansas, Fayetteville, allowing graduates from our Ed. S. program to pursue completion of their doctorates with the UAF.
Teachers College, Henderson facilities include the Education Center, where classrooms are equipped with state-of-the art-technology and the Center for Play Therapy is housed; the Davis-Baker Preschool, designed to give early childhood development majors experiences working with three- and four-year olds; Proctor Hall, a prized landmark from the WPA era that houses classes and labs for dietetics, nutrition, family and consumer sciences, and fashion merchandising; and the Duke Wells Center, where health, physical education, recreation, and athletic training classes are taught.
Accredited programs in Teachers College include:
- The Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparers (CAEP)
- The Council for the Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE)
- The Council for the Accreditation of Counseling and Related Education Programs (CACREP)
- The Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND)
Programs nationally recognized by their Specialty Professional Associations include:
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- National Middle Level Education (NMLE)
- Council for Exceptional Children (CEC)
- Educational Leadership Constituents Council (ELCC)
- National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS)
- National Council for Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- National Council for Teaches of English (NCTE)
Henderson is the first university in Arkansas to be recognized as a Center for Play Therapy by the Association for Play Therapy.
Teachers College is a leader in educator preparation and the preparation of leaders in many professions. But don’t take our word for it. Visit campus or talk with one of our many successful alumni, including Teacher of the Year award recipients, school leaders, licensed dieticians, athletic trainers, park superintendents, counselors, coaches, and more.
Other important Teachers College, Henderson areas:
- Southwest – A Education Renewal Zone
- M. H. Russell Center for Economic Education
- The STEM Center at Henderson State University
- Henderson Partners in Education
- Office of Educator Preparation and Clinical Experiences
- Office of Educator Licensure